Saturday, February 05, 2011

The Power of Choosing

I recently read a self help book called 'The Now Habit' by Neil Fiore. The book intends to help you overcome procrastination. Like all self help books, it doesn't quite help you as much as you'd like to. But it does have a take away message that I really liked.

The author asks us to replace "have to" with "choose to". Day in an day out we find ourselves saying to ourselves - I have to go to work today. Or, I have to get this report done by evening. I should be exercising more. I should eat less fatty food. And so on.

The author asks us to replace this internal dialog with a choice statement. I choose to go to work today. I choose to get this report done by evening. I will exercise more. I will eat less fatty food.

When you say "have to", you are putting someone else in-charge: your boss, your teacher, or your doctor. When you say "choose to", you are in-charge. This can be a liberating feeling.

See also:

1 comment:

  1. Why on earth would anybody want to overcome procrastination?? Isn't is a very pleasurable, fun activity?

    In my opinion, we need more books helping us to procrastinate more and not feeling any silly guilt about it.

    I'm saying it as a person who is looking forward to a 4-day long weekend.

    ReplyDelete