Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Mindful Eating and Perfumes

I'm trying to eat at least one meal mindfully these days. I sit down at a table, NOT in front of the computer, set out my plates like a civilized man and then just enjoy my meal. And I have to say, it is a very relaxing experience.

And I have been taking note of what the food really tastes like. Taste is complex. There is the initial taste when you first put the food into your mouth. Then, as you chew it, the taste changes because of the way food interacts with your saliva. The texture of food as you chew it is pretty interesting too. And then, as you swallow your food it leaves an after taste.

It is the after taste that I find most interesting. It is often the after taste that we always miss out on because we are too busy taking in the next bite or absorbed in that show we're watching.

I find it much like notes in perfumery. Which makes sense given the close connection between our taste buds and our nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment