Monday, October 23, 2006

Movie Review: Khosla Ka Ghosla

I saw Khosla Ka Ghosla last night. I just started to browse through the DVD with no intention of watching the movie at that time. However, after I had seen the first fifteen minutes, I was hooked. So I watched that movie despite it being late in the night (and consequently getting up late and missing first two lectures today) and guess what, I watched it again today afternoon!

Needless to say, I was mighty impressed with the whole movie. It isn’t surprising, given that we have Anupam Kher and Boman Irani in the star cast. Neither of them disappoints you. In fact, Boman Irani is positively awesome. In an interview he said that he had done extensive homework before portraying the character of a real estate agent. Believe me, it shows. Not that I have had many dealings with estate agents, but whatever little I’ve seen, reflect faithfully on screen.

Anupam Kher is natural in his role as a meek middle class man. He portrays it almost too well. And both the actors playing his sons portray their characters well too.

So let me enlist what I like about the movie.

First is the script. After a very very long time have I seen such a good script. What I have always felt about bollywood is that they don’t need anything to make good movies except good writers. They pick up good concepts but cannot turn the script into a blockbuster. However, with this movie the script alone could have carried it through. The dialogues are natural, at least in the first half of the movie. The picturisation accompanying that appears very natural too. Also, in the second half where things start getting more fictional, the entire affair is done very tightly so that at no point is the movie becoming boring or farcical.

The characterization is wonderful. Each character is typical and identifiable. I could especially connect to the younger Khosla son who is a feeble hearted IITian not knowing much about the practicalities of the world.

Another pleasant surprise within the movie was its music. It is quite good. Especially, the songs ‘Ab Kya Karenge’ and ‘Chak De Phatte’ have the quality of lingering on.

Perhaps the only minus point about the movie is Tara Sharma. That girl neither knows how to act nor how to deliver dialogues. I could have done better than her but alas, I’m not a girl.

1 comment:

  1. anupam kher disappointed.. he could have done much better... he looked almost the same man he portrayed in 'saaransh', his first movie.

    while both are old men, the times and conditions of that movie were very different from khosla ka ghosla.. he could have done better.

    yes, tara sharma sucked.... she even has dark circled below her eyes (unless that is 'realistic' protrayal or something!)

    ReplyDelete