Saturday, November 05, 2005

Plagiarism

This post is about my first brush with plagiarism. Some time ago, I wrote an article about IITK Lingo. Today, I came to know about this article which copies a couple of paragraphs that appear in my blog almost verbatim.

Needless to say, I'm a bit hurt. I understand that content on the net is free. I myself an avid user of Linux and support the free software philosophy and all. But I do expect people to acknowledge me when they use my work. And if they plan on making some money out of it, I want my rightful share.

If copying blogs is all it takes to write an Indiatimes column, they might as well give me the job. I'll at least write some original stuff for them!

This is what the article says:

Dassu




In IIT-speak, he is The One, he is the elite amongst the elite, he has almost a demigod status, he is the one who has enough guts to challenge the mighty professors who control the life of an IITian, he is the Ten Pointer.

Everyone wants to be him, whether they would admit it or not. But only the chosen ones have it in them. Hail all Dassus.

Nobody but Rahul Gandhi gets this esteemed tag. So ok, he isn’t exactly IIT educated but his lineage, charisma and controversial remarks that challenge his own party are enough to get him in.














This is what part of my blog read:

". . . A related word is magai which is what a maggu does. Magai is also used in a lighter sense for normal studies.

9. Dassu : He is The One, he is the elite amongst the elite, he has almost a demigod status, he is the one who has enough guts to challenge the mighty professors who control the life of an IITian, he is the Ten Pointer. Everyone wants to be him, whether they would admit it or not. But only the chosen ones have it in them. Hail all Dassus.

10. Lassu : the classic flirt. He lives not in the hostel alloted to him but in or near the girls' hostel. The lassu would not leave any opportunity to interact with girls . . . ."

9 comments:

  1. Shit man, these Indiatimes people are all frauds! We should bring this to the attention of DesiPundit which can give it more public attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DNA India copied some stuff from Sepia Mutiny. These kind of plagiarism is on the rise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. here is the link
    http://indiauncut.blogspot.com/2005/11/bring-on-outrage.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>I understand that content on the net is free

    No, it is not! You do own the copyright to the expression. You do not need to put an explicit copyright notice to assert your right.

    From http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter6/6-a.html#1

    "A work is not in the public domain simply because it has been posted on the Internet (a popular fallacy) or if it lacks a copyright notice (another myth)."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to everyone who has read and/or commented on this article. Thanks to Srijith for pointing out the copyright thing. I'll keep that in mind.

    But I do want the content on the net to be free as in people should be free to copy and redistribute or even modify it, as long as the original creator(s) of the content are acknowleged. You know, the free software philosophy. So I don't mind content from my blog being copied as long as you just say "As Vinod Khare wrote on his blog . . .". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should pick this up with Indiatimes. Plagiarism is no good. Send them an angry letter/email about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want others to be able to use the content of your site freely by attribution, release your content under any combination of Creative Commons that involves Attribution.

    http://creativecommons.org/license/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue them! Confront them and ask them to cough up money for the content you wrote

    ReplyDelete